Thursday, September 15, 2011

Hiking Thumb Butte

We went to Prescott for a weekend in June. We of course had to climb Thumb Butte. Hayden especially likes this hike, because he and dad always go to the tippy top of the butte. I like this hike because it is a good workout yet not so challenging that the girls (and I include myself here) struggle and don't enjoy themselves. Ellie is only five, so she usually gets carried by AC part of the way still. I know the time is coming when instead of me saying, "I'll go slowly so the girls can keep up" THEY will be saying, "We need to slow down so MOM can keep up!" But we ain't there yet!

We need to pause here for a second, and really focus on something important in the picture of Ellie above. For those of you who know her, you may already be grasping the importance of this photo. 1. Ellie is wearing shorts. Bike shorts, yes, but shorts nonetheless. That is pretty rare- she's a skirt and dress girl. 2. Ellie is wearing . . . tie shoes. Yes, the girl has gone most of her life without wearing closed toe lace up shoes. She wore a pair of velcro Dora tennis shoes exactly 10 times last year- once for each soccer game, and each time tears were involved. I won't tell if they were hers or mine. The girl has very definitive opinions on what belongs on her body. These twinkle toes are Chloe's hand me downs, and Ellie agreed to wear them when I told her she couldn't hike otherwise. And she put them on. Smiling. And said she'll wear them again. Angels are weeping for joy.

Back to the hike. Hayden and AC were thwarted from going to the tippy top by mating Eagles or something, so they had to stay down with the rest of us weaklings. It was a great hike anyway- and a fun family tradition!




No comments: